How do I import the XML in my WordPress blog?
- If you have NOT downloaded the XML from our site yet. Click the download button from the conversion page. That will save the XML file on your computer. If you are not asked for where to save the file, it will probably go to your download folder.
- Log in your WordPress as an administrator.
- Go to Tools → Import (or Manage → Import in 2.7 or older) in the blog's admin panels.
- Choose "WordPress" from the list.
- Upload the XML file using the upload form provided on that page.
- Then you will map the authors (from the XML file) to users from your blog. For each author, you can choose to map to an existing user on the blog or to create a new user.
- WordPress will then import each of the posts, comments, and categories contained in this file into your blog.
How do I get the WXR file?
First click the download button from the conversion page. You will get a zip file containing the WordPress XML with all your site content. This XML file is sometimes called WordPress eXtended RSS or WXR.
How do I set the site front page?
By default, WordPress shows your most recent posts in reverse chronological order on the front page of your site. Many WordPress users want a static front page or splash page as the front page instead. In the admin go to Administration > Settings > Reading panel. In the drop down menu you are able to select a post or a page to use as your front page.
How does the site exploration work?
The tool will first collect the links (l1, l2... ln) available on the page you provide. Then it will open the page l1 and collect all the links of that page. Then it will do the same for l2 and all the other links available.
I'm getting an error because the XML file is too large. How I can import it?
You need to edit your server configuration file. Here are some details.
Are all the static files (pdf, jpeg...) copied?
The static files are not copied. All links to pdf or image source will point to the original domain except for links to pages that were successfully extracted. If you are moving your site to a new server, you have to copy the static files manually and respect the same folder structure.
If you decide to create a theme, all the static files (jpg, js, css...) used to create the theme will be copied and included in the theme file.
What are the limitations?
Only the page of your site that are publicly accessible can be extracted. On each page we select the content based on XPath selectors. If your site is using multiple design templates, you will likely need to provide multiple XPath. This can be done in the site settings using our visual XPath picker.
Are you available to be hired?
In some cases, our service will provide a good first step to convert a site to Wordpress be will require custom work from a developer. We do not provide this type of service. A Google search can get you started.
How do I install a WordPress theme?
- In the WordPress admin go to: Appearance / Themes / Add New
- Click Upload Theme and then Browse
- Select the theme ZIP from your Computer. It is probably in your Downloads folder.
- Once the theme has successfully been uploaded, click Activate
- Your theme is now active!
Here is a more detailed description
How do I fix Destination folder already exists?
If you see the message, it means you have already installed the theme. If you made changes to the theme and you want to install it again, follow those steps:
- Make sure the theme is not active (click the activate button on another theme).
- Click Theme Details and click delete (bottom right).
- You can now install the theme again (with the Add new button).
I downloaded the ZIP file. What do I do now?
You can now install the theme zip file into WordPress. In order to do that you have to have a functioning WordPress site and admin access to that site. Then, install the theme in WordPress
How can I change the content of the menu in WP?
If your source page has a menu, it will be copied as static HTML in your theme. It means that you will not be able to edit it through the "Appearance / Menus" page in WordPress. The themes we generate currently do not include the WordPress menu elements.
If you wish to customize the menu, you can change the HTML code of the
header.php file. You may also create a custom menu in the "Appearance / Widgets" page. This one will be displayed correctly.
The menu links point to the original site. How can make them point the the WordPress site?
On the download the theme page, click the options button and make sure the checkbox "Rewrite links" is checked. That will rewrite links to the pages that have been imported during the import content stage. You need to import the content XML file into Wordpress if you want this to work.
Can I change the size of some elements in the editor?
When you are editing your theme, you can at any theme bring the browser's developer's tools by pressing F12. Those tools give you advanced editing capabilities to tweak the theme. You can for example change the content of some elements.
The custom fonts do not display properly. How do I fix that?
This is happening because the fonts are being served from a different domain. To fix this problem, the server hosting the fonts has to be reconfigured. Here are some details
on what to change. You can also use the Copy assets
option under Customize theme
. This will take care of the problematic fonts.
How can I import the site content into WordPress?
When you are done with the theme, you can easily import the site content using our Import into blog
What are the limitations?
- This tool will not improve the existing HTML code of the source page.
- Highly dynamic pages with AJAX requests may not load correctly. Use a static start page for best result.
- The theme editor works best with a recent version of Firefox or Chrome.
I'm not sure this service is what I need. How can I test it before buying?
The demo plan has some limitations. If you wish to use all the site features, you need to upgrade
. We have a full refund policy. If you are not satisfied with the service, just send us an email and we will give you your money back.
Do you need technical skills to use this tool?
Our tool is particularly suited for people comfortable with HTML/CSS as some manual tweaking is generally required. The amount of manual work required depends on the complexity of the original site.
Is my plan automatically renewed when it expires?
There is no automatic renewal. If you don't want to continue using our service, you have nothing to do. When your plan expires, your account will go back to the demo/test plan.